HBO Max subscribers never have a dull moment. A monthly subscription to HBO Now costs as little as $10 and gives users access to hundreds of TV shows, movies, and other HBO Max exclusives, among others.
Using subtitles while watching HBO Max best shows and best movies has numerous benefits. Aside from helping those with special needs, you can use it to improve your own vocabulary or learn a new language. But do you know how to turn on subtitles on HBO Max?
All streaming devices have the same options to turn on the subtitles on HBO Max, mobile apps, and computers. Changing your subtitle preferences, on the other hand, is device-specific.
For a variety of reasons, subtitles are an asset when it comes to watching television and movies. We’ll walk you through the process of how to turn on subtitles on the HBO Max platform.
Subtitles on HBO Max can be turned on or off with the click of a button thanks to HBO Max’s simple interface. It’s compatible with a wide range of streaming gadgets, and the information in this article explains how to turn on subtitles on HBO Max.
The use of subtitles on HBO Max and closed-captioning is beneficial if you want to understand all of the words and sounds that you hear in a film or television program. The subtitles on HBO Max can be turned on or off at any time.
How to turn on Subtitles on Major streaming Devices
HBO max is available on a variety of devices, and we’ll explain how to access subtitles on any of them in this article.
- Amazon FireStick
- Roku device
- Android Phone
- Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Vizio, Sony, and other smart TVs
How to turn on Subtitles on HBO Max using Amazon FireStick
On Amazon’s FireStick, HBO Max debuted just a few weeks ago. The good news is that HBO Max already has full subtitle support, and it’s easy to turn on subtitles. Pressing play on the movie you’d like to watch is all you need to do.
- Press the Menu button on your FireStick remote, which has three horizontal stripes.
- Select Audio and Subtitles from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Last but not least, decide in which language you want the subtitles to be displayed.
How to turn on Subtitles on HBO Max using Roku
The Roku, a new addition to HBO Max, still offers subtitles.
Similar to the Firestick instructions, you can enable subtitles for your favorite HBO Max shows on Roku.
- After you’ve hit play on the video you want to see, use the Roku remote to press the * button.
- Subtitles can be enabled by selecting “Closed captioning” from the video options.
- Simply press the upper-left corner back button on your remote to return to your show.
How to turn on Subtitles on HBO max using Android or iPhone
One of the best features of mobile devices is the ability to bring your favorite shows with you wherever you go. Once you’ve downloaded and installed the app on your smartphone or tablet, the rest is a piece of cake.
To watch a movie or television show, find it and then press Play on your device.
- To access the CC icon, simply tap anywhere on the screen and then select it.
- In a flash, you can enable or disable the subtitles. The fact that they’re disabled by default shouldn’t be overlooked.
- The CC icon in the lower left-hand corner of the screen will change from black and white to purple and black when subtitles are enabled.
How to turn on Subtitles on HBO Max using PC or Mac
- To find what you’re looking for, open a browser of your choice, log into the streaming platform, and search for it.
- To access the basic menu, simply keep your cursor over the video while it’s playing.
- The CC icon can be used to enable or disable the subtitle.
- In this section, you can also change the font size or style of the subtitles.
How to turn on Subtitles on TVs
- While you’re enjoying an HBO Max film, press the “Select” button on your remote control.
- Make sure to select “Audio and Subtitles” in the drop-down menus.
- Closed-captioning options include “English CC.”
On Apple TV
- Using your remote, press the down button while the movie is in progress.
- The Subtitles option can be found by swiping right and clicking on it.
- To activate, simply press the On button.
On Samsung Smart TV
- Use your remote to navigate the menu on your Samsung Smart TV by pressing the Down button.
- The captions can be turned on by clicking the CC button and selecting the On option.
Difference between Subtitles and Closed Captions
Subtitles and closed-captioning may be interchangeable, but they are two different things. In our minds, subtitles are a translation of a foreign language movie.
As an example, a Spanish-language film may have English subtitles so that the audience can better understand and learn from the film.
Instead, closed captions provide a textual representation of the audio. It translates the sounds you hear as you watch a movie or television show. The movie’s subtitles have already been added, and they can’t always be changed. Closed captions, on the other hand, can be enabled or disabled.
How to Enable or Disable Subtitles and Closed Captions on HBO Max
If you’re using HBO Max to stream, you can easily enable or disable closed-captioning. However, it’s possible that the procedure will be unique to each device.
HBO Max CC can be activated or deactivated by following the instructions below.
On the HBO Website
- Hover your mouse over the movie you’re watching to see the subtitles appear.
- Open the CC button by clicking on it next.
- Activate closed captions by selecting Yes.
HBO Subtitle Management on a Smart TV (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio)
There are some restrictions when it comes to watching HBO Max on your smart TV. Samsung TVs manufactured in 2016 and newer are compatible with the service/app. In addition to these, most Android TVs, including Sony models, can run the app.
The options for each of the aforementioned television brands are described in the sections that follow.
It’s a piece of cake to watch HBO Max on a Samsung TV with subtitles.
- To turn subtitles on or off, simply pause the video, navigate to the CC icon on your remote, and press the CC button.
- Make sure the TV’s subtitles are turned on, as well, once you’ve done that. Go to the Samsung settings and select Caption Settings in the Accessibility section. The green circle next to the Caption indicates that subtitles are active.
Subtitles can be turned off by selecting Caption and turning the green circle grey.
HBO subtitle management on LG TV is similar to many other TVs.
- While you’re watching something, use the Select button on your remote to navigate through the options.
- Go back to the top of the page and select Audio and Subtitles from the drop-down menu.
- Select English CC in the Closed captions menu.
Even though closed-captioning is currently only available in English, LG TVs’ new support should be noted.
HBO Max isn’t supported by Panasonic’s smart TV OS because it runs on a proprietary operating system. However, if you have an Android or iOS smartphone, you can use the screen mirroring feature.
- Both the phone and the television must be connected to the same network for this to work.
- Finally, press the APPS button on the remote and select Mirroring from the menu.
- Then, go to your smartphone’s Settings menu and select Screen Mirroring.
- Make sure YES is selected by pressing OK on the Panasonic remote and tapping on the VIERA model number on your TV.
Because you may have to wait for a long time for the connection to be established, this can be frustrating. You can also set the subtitles on your smartphone.
Using the Play Store, you can download and install HBO Max on Sony smart TVs.
- Simply click on the “CC” playback icon in the playback window after logging in and selecting the content you want to watch.
- On your TV, you may also need to enable subtitles by pressing home on the remote and then selecting Settings.
- The Digital Setup menu will then appear.
- Make sure the Subtitle Setup option is turned on. There is a subtitling option in the same menu where you can change the display preferences for the subtitles.
You can’t use the HBO Max app on a Vizio TV because it doesn’t run on Android. A hack was quickly revealed, however, by the TV manufacturer. HBO Max content can be streamed via Apple AirPlay or Chromecast, according to their official website.
AirPlay is the subject of this article, so we’ll explain it.
- You can watch a movie or a TV show with HBO Max on your iOS device.
- Tap on the AirPlay icon in the upper right corner of the screen, and you’re ready to stream.
- You’re ready to go when you tap on your TV in the pop-up menu. To refresh your memory, you can alter the subtitles on your mobile device or tablet.
Can Text Size Be Adjusted?
If you have a streaming dongle or other device, you may be able to increase the size of the text in HBO Max, but not in the app itself. You can select Large Text from the Captions customization menu in the Accessibility menu on a Mac, for example.
Subtitles on Windows 10 should be affected by a similar feature, which is available. When all else fails, you can always increase the font size on HBO Max.
Can the Font Size Be Changed?
Six different font sizes are available, ranging from the tiniest to the largest. Using the Settings menu, you can access this option. There is an upper section of the screen with captions when streaming via TV or supported streaming gadget.
Closed Captioning can be accessed by using the arrow buttons on your remote control and then pressing the OK button to confirm your selection.
My Subtitles Aren’t Syncing Properly. What Can I Do?
Synchronization isn’t an issue when using the original subtitles. However, if this occurs, try pausing and restarting the playback to see if the break is helpful. As an alternative, you can try disabling and reactivating the subtitles in order to speed them up.
Restart your streaming device if this doesn’t solve the problem. Restart your browser and clear your cache if you’re using the web client to watch the video again.
FAQs – HBO Max Canada
Is HBO Max available with subtitles?
The movie does indeed have subs. There’s a speech bubble in the upper right corner that says “Audio and Subtitles.” You can select the subtitle language you want from the Subtitles menu.
Why do captions not work on HBO Max?
HBO Max has working captions. To turn subtitles on or off, use the CC icon on your remote to navigate to the paused video. As soon as you’ve done that, please make sure the TV is set to display subtitles.
Can I change the subtitle language?
HBO Max subtitles are clearly dependent on the original language of the content. HBO Max provides subtitles in a variety of languages.
As with the audio, language input is usually selected from the CC menu. It’s not uncommon to see people conversing in English, Japanese, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Do all good streaming services support subtitles?
With these simple steps, you can change the subtitles to any language you desire. Whatever device you’re using to watch HBO Max, the process is basically the same, regardless of what kind of device you’re using.
Despite its accessibility issues, HBO Max continues to be one of the most exciting streaming services available today. When you’re watching HBO Max on your mobile device, using subtitles is as simple as drinking water.